Feel so inspired by Ann Morgan’s project “A Year of Reading the World” which she spent a year reading about every country in the world, almost 200 of them for god’s sake, I want to do the same.
BUT I will do only a mini version of it. I won’t read for one year straight nor about the entire world. I will read only about Europe, given my temporary Euro-enthusiast at the moment.
For the time being, I’ll call my project “10 Years Reading Europeans”, estimate fish by 2017. The 10 year-span is to relieve myself from the time pressure ;-).
Here is my list of what I’ve read so far. Only 14 countries, 36 more to go.
- Bosnia-Herzegovina: Bridge over the Drina – Ivo Andric / Bosnia: A Short History – Noel Malcolm
- Czech Republic: A Little Town Where Time Stood Still – Bohumil Hrabal / Too Loud a Solitude – Bohumil Hrabal / Unbearable Lightness of Being – Milan Kundera / Czechs in a Nutshell – Terje B. Englund / Tales From Two Pockets – Karel Capek / The Castle – Frank Kafka
- Denmark: Fairy tales – Hans Christian Andersen
- France: Nobody Boy – Hector Malot / The Little Prince – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry / A Year in Provence – Peter Mayles / The Hunchback of Notre Dame – Victor Hugo
- Germany: Brother Grimm’s Fairy tales / Child of All Nations – Irmgard Keun
- Iceland: Independent People – Halldór Laxness / Meltdown Iceland: Lessons on the World Financial Crisis from a Small Bankrupt Nation – Roger Boyes
- Ireland: Dubliners – James Joyce
- Israel: From Beirut to Jerusalem – Thomas Friedman
- Italy: Heart – Edmondo De Amicis /Dark Heart of Italy – Tobias Jones / The New Italians – Charles Richard
- Kosovo: Madness Visible: A Memoir of War – Janine Di Giovanni
- Netherlands: The Diary of a Young Girl – Anne Frank
- Russia: And Quiet Flows the Don – Mikhail Sholokhov / Among the Russians – Colin Thubron / In Siberia – Colin Thubron / Travel in Siberia – Ian Frazier
- Serbia: With Their Backs to the World: Portraits from Serbia – Asne Sierstad
- Spain: Don Quixote – Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
- Sweden: Pippi Longstocking – Astrid Lindgren
- Turkey: Laugh or Lament: Select Short Stories – Aziz Nesin
- Ukraine: A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian – Marina Lewycka
- United Kingdom: Sherlock Holmes – Arthur Conan Doyle / The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time- Mark Haddon / Notes from a Small Country – Bill Bryson
What are you reading? Get your list and review books @goodreads
[cjtoolbox name=’Goodreads: Read Europe’ ] [/cjtoolbox]